Friday, November 10, 2006


Jack Williamson

I have just received word that famed science fiction writer Jack Williamson passed away.

Folks:

Betty Williamson has sent a message today to friends and relatives that Jack Williamson has passed away.

Betty writes:

Hello dear friends and family,

This is to let you know that our beloved Jack Williamson died this afternoon at 3:22 p.m. He was in his study, surrounded by people he loved who loved him. It could not have been better.

Jack consented to a memorial service because I told him there were a lot of people who would want to get together to share wonderful memories. We will let all of you know when that is set.

Thank you for your friendship and love to Jack. He will be missed by all of us, but he was very ready to die. He has told me many, many times, "I have lived a wonderful life and I will die with no regrets."

***

Jack was wonderfully kind and generous to me since I began publishing books of his works in 1998, and I will miss him and his geniality more than I can express.

Stephen Haffner


As for me, I probably started reading Jack Williamson with the "Galaxy Novel" (remember those?) version of The Humanoids. Soon after that I came across The Legion of Space, which still remains my favorite, and is just about my favorite novel in the space opera genre (even surpassing E.E. "Doc" Smith's works!). I still remember the thrill I had tracking down Barnard's Runaway Star in my telescope from my backyard. The thrill came not so much from a successful hunt, but in looking at the home of the dreaded Medsuae, the implacable aliens from The Legion of Space. It is amazing to look at his output, from early works inspired by A. Merritt to space opera worthy of the likes of Campbell, Hamilton and Smith, to cutting-edge hard science based on the latest information, such as Beachhead.

No comments: