Saturday, November 05, 2005



Two By O'Brian

I started re-reading and reading (where appropriate) Patrick O'Brian's nautical tales this year. I got through two of the books. Two is a good number. You need to savor books such as these.

Master & Commander: The start of a long series. These are books of craft and skill. You get the feeling that O'Brian wrote these longhand, and chose each word with care. Great characters, superb dialogue and wonderful tales of life at sea chock-ful of details of life during the 1800's. When I first bought these books, I limited myself to one a year, knowing that the author would not last forever. Now I'm working my way through the series again (hopefully at a faster rate!). Another one that I can't recommend highly enough!

Post Captain: The second in the series. All the praise I had for the first and then some.

Read these books and savor them.

No comments: