Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Meme Mania

The kind folks at SF Signal have "tagged" me, so I'm being forced to think this morning. Don't worry, I'll carefully spread the wealth further...

1. One book that changed your life?

The World, The Flesh and The Devil by J.D. Bernal.

2. One book you have read more than once?

Starlight Nights: The Adventures of a Star-Gazer by Leslie Peltier

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

Can three books count as one? Especially if the author intended it to be one book? I think it would be The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

4. One book that made you laugh?

Anything by P.G. Wodehouse.

5. One book that made you cry?

102 Minutes by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn.

6. One book you wish you had written?

Voyage by Stephen Baxter. I actually was researching a story of alternate history like this when I read the book. No way I could top this!

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Anything by David Berlinski. Just about the most-overhyped author I've encountered. No only that, a perfect example of the need of an editor in the process of writing a book. Why use a one or two syllable word when a five or ten syllable word will do and also make you look more intelligent? Berlinski has written about some fascinating stuff, but has managed to write a series of books that I would readily toss across the room. Avoid!

8. One book you are currently reading?

Only one? Sorry, that's not the way I operate! Let's see. The Posleen books by John Ringo. More short story collections than I can shake a stick at. I think I am "currently reading" about twenty-five books. Some take a year or more. Some less than a week. I'm a multi-tasker! I'm a multi-tasker! Watch this space.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

Only one? There are piles! O.K., let's pick a hard one. How about The Anthropic Cosmological Principle by John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler? Maybe this vacation!

10. Now tag five people.

Nah.

No comments: