Friday, October 06, 2006

The Planck Dive

The Planck Dive is a short story by Greg Egan. You can read it online here. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Dang. Where to start. I liked this story. But...it should have been a heck of a lot longer. Heck, I'll like any story that has Feynman Diagrams in it. Egan crams in a lot of physics, and does a good job of explaining it. (In fact, there's so much physics flying around, that I suggest you take a look here and here for more information and explanation.) But it comes at the cost of the characters and what seems to be an interesting background. How about more on the two cultures depicted? Why are they so different? Is the culture of the visitors the exception rather than the rule in that future? I was left wanting a lot more detail.

Counts as one (1) entry in the 2006 Short Story Project.

No comments: