Monday, December 24, 2007

Holiday Feast: Roasted Vegetables

This is a dish that I've pretty much developed on my own. It's versatile. I've done it with chicken, I've done it with kielbasi, I done it with both chicken and kielbasi, I've done it with different vegetables.

In this case, I used parsnips, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions (pearl onions).

Peel and slice the parsnips and carrots. Peel and dice the two kinds of potatoes. In today's recipe, the dicing on the potatoes was larger than the parsnips and carrots. For those, I used my newly acquired "wavy knife", a chopper that puts a wave into the vegetable as it cuts it.

The pearl onions were dunked into boiling water for about a minute, then put under cold running water until the cooking process stopped. This causes the outer skin to wrinkle, so it is easily removed. Cut off any remaining root matter, but other wise leave whole.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a roasting pan, mix together the vegetables, olive oil and a variety of spices. I used salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.

Place in oven for approximately an hour. The dish is done when you can easily thrust a fork through the larger pieces of vegetable.

No comments: