Thursday, July 15, 2004

Better Than Good Book

A while ago I tried to read Neil Gaiman's book Neverwhere. I gave up after the first chapter or so, finding it a pale imitation of the works of Tim Powers. I'm not a big comic, errr, graphic novel fan, so I can't say I'm familar with his works in that area.

I skipped American Gods, given my experience with Neverwhere.

I did read several reviews of Coraline while I was working through a pile of back issues of Locus. It sounded interesting, so I gave it a try. I read the whole thing last night at work (it's not very long).

Excellent book! It reminded me strongly of Ray Bradbury (especially Something Wicked This Way Comes) or Fritz Leiber (especially the earlier tales of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, especially Ill Met in Lankhmar). The flap says it's for ages 8 and up. Maybe when I was a kid (I read a lot of stuff like this). Today's kids might find it a bit tame (given the usual video game fare). Adults should love it, especially if you are a fan of Bradbury, Poe, Lovecraft, Leiber, (Clark Ashton) Smith, etc.

I may have to give Neverwhere another try.

No comments: