Sunday, February 20, 2005

Bob Buckley

I've been thinking about Mars stories that I've enjoyed, such as Ben Bova's Mars or Kim Stanley Robinson's trilogy.

I recall reading several by an author named Bob Buckley in Analog in the 70's, e.g., "Encounter Below Tharsis" (1974) and "The Hunters of Tharsis" (1975). According to a website where I found biographical data, it appears he hasn't written anything for several years.

Anybody ever hear of him? Know what happened to him? Know if he's still around?

Addendum: May 16, 2007: Since I first wrote that entry, it appears that Mr. Buckley has put up a website. That's the good news. The bad news is that there doesn't appear to be any way of contacting him through the website, nor does there appear to be a contact address listed anywhere. Some of his stories are available in electronic format (but via an e-publisher who seems more interested in making things difficult than helping the customer!).

Addendum: April 18, 2008: I was contacted by Mr. Buckley! He says... "Hi Fred, glad you enjoyed my stories about Mars. I'm writing for a broadband satellite communications company and they have been keeping me too busy to write fiction. When I retire I'll have time to get back to the ol' word processor. I'm still active in the SFWA, however."

No comments: