Monday, December 18, 2006


The Far Side of the World

After working through H.M.S. Surprise and The Mauritius Command earlier in the year, I skipped forward and worked through The Far Side of the World. I was mostly curious to see how much it matched the movie (based on this plus Master and Commander).

(It may surprise some, given how much I like these books, that I haven't plowed through them by now. My method is simple. The author has passed, having started, but not finished the 21st volume of the series. I love these books. I want the joy to last, before reading them again. So I try to limit myself to a few a year.)

Captain Aubrey takes the H.M.S. Surprise on a chase around South America and into the Pacific searching for an American frigate that has been harassing British whaling vessels. Unlike the movie, there are no sea battles, but there are some nasty storms, shipwrecked sailors, desert islands, dusky maids (with interesting eating habits) and a lot more.

One thing that always strikes me when I read O'Brian. I now essentially squat about naval matters, especially age of sail naval matters. I would not know a foremast from a mizzenmast if it hit me in the head. But when I am reading these wonderful books, I feel like I understand the concepts, just from the joy of the writing. When I am finished, I am a clueless landlubber again, but for a brief time, I am one with the wooden vessel.

Good stuff, once again. Will I finish either Treason's Harbor or Desolation Island by year's end? If not, there's always next year!

Addendum: In re-reading the review of this book, recommended by a friend, I was struck by the following. So true, so true, of us lovers of sail and salt!

Those of us in thrall to the late Patrick O'Brian are still combing book stalls and reviews looking for his successor, however profoundly we understand there'll never be one. Like alcoholics licking the lids of empty brandy bottles, we grope for the next fix, hungry for almost any author who will pipe us aboard a square-rigged ship for provocative cerebral adventures.


Addendum (January 12, 2007): In response to a comment, here is where I found the picture used above. It is a print by Geoff Hunt, whose work graces all the volumes of the Aubrey-Maturin series that I own. A gallery can be found here. I'd love to get a set of these (and enough wall space to display them!)

No comments: