Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Night Before Yuletide

'Twas the night the stars were right, when all through the house,
Not a creature was unterrified, not even a mouse
The Elder Signs were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that Great Cthulhu would not find his way there

The family were hiding, all under their beds
while visions of insanity danced in their heads
And mama in her kerchief, and I in my cap
prayed Great Cthulhu wouldn't wake from his nap

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
I sprang from under the bed to see what was the matter
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Threw open the shutters and tore down the sash

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lusture of mid-day to abominations below
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a Squid-God whose visage inspired dread fear

With tentacles many and bearing bloodstain,
I knew in a moment he'd drive me insane
More rapid than eagles, his minions they came
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name

"On Hastur, on Nyarlathotep, on Deep Ones and Mi-Go
"On Fungi from Yuggoth, Yog Sothoth, let's go!
"To the top of the porch, to the top of the wall
"Now slash away, slash away, slash away all!"

As dry leaves that during strange aeons do fly
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky
So to the top of our house the minions they flew
With eyes full of death and Great Cthulhu too

And then in a twinkling I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of Shub-Niggurath's hoof
As I drew back in terror and was turning around,
Down the chimney Cthulhu came with a bound

He was green and tentacle'd from his head to his foot
He looked angry to be tarnished by ashes and soot
A sack filled with gore he had flung on his back
And he looked all prepared to launch an attack

His eyes - how they burned His damp chill - how scary
His breath smelled like carrion - his minions were hairy
His tentacle'd mouth was drawn up like a bow
The sudden streak in my hair was as white as the snow

The flaming limb of my neighbor Carl he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke encircled his head like a wreath
He was green and immense like some great, twisted elf
And I shook when I saw him in spite of myself

The look in those eyes which burned in his head,
Soon gave me to know I had much to dread
He spoke not a word but went straight to his work
Then caught sight of my Elder Signs and turned with a jerk

Staring at them with hate, his minions they froze,
Then giving me the finger, up the chimney they rose
He took to the sky, to his team gave a whistle
and away they all flew like the down of a thistle
But I heard him exclaim, over my own screams of fright
"I'll be back for you soon...when the stars are right!"

No comments: