Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Birthday Party Leads to an Unexpected Meeting

I had a dream last night that was both bizarre and vivid. I went to a birthday party of a science fiction writer in New York City. I took my daughter with me. The party was held in a small apartment, essentially one large common room (livingroom, diningroom, kitchen all combined), bedroom, and bathroom (tub filled with beer).

Among the invited guests were both Pope Benedict and author Harlan Ellison.

Everybody at the party was "Oh, no! Keep the apart! There will be trouble!" But they both got along, discussing old age, their aching joints and "those damn kids".

I "met" both of them and found them very friendly and open and willing to talk at length. I asked my daughter if she knew who the man in the hat was and she replied "Pope Clement?" "No!" I replied, "Weren't you listening in church tonight! Pope Benedict!"

The strangest dream I've had in years.

2 comments:

Paul Weimer said...

I am wracking my brain for a contemporary SF author who would invite both the Pope and Ellison to a birthday party.

John C. Wright...maaybe?

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

I recognized several attendees (none of which were the honoree): Delany, Malzberg, Silverberg, "Hal Clement" and even "Cordwainer Smith". But I have a feeling the birthday boy (girl?) was just "generic author standin for this dream sequence".