Monday, December 31, 2007

HowLow

HALO: First Strike; Eric Nylund (Del Rey, 2003, ISBN 0-345-46781-7, cover by Lorraine McLees).

HALO: Ghosts of Onyx, Eric Nylund (Tor, 2006, ISBN 978-0-765-35470-9, cover artist not indicated).

I'll freely admit that the whole computer gaming thing has pretty much passed me by. Spending all day working on a computer, then coming home to (now) post at a blog or read e-mail...well, you never really feel like gaming. Like television, I'd rather read.

But I was curious about the HALO. It sounded like the sort of thing I'd enjoy. So I took the cheap route out and picked up a couple of books set in the universe. Heck, Peter Jackson wanted to make a movie based on the game, it has to be good, no?

Well, if the books are any indication, no. Bad author? Bad background? Need to grind these puppies out as fast as possible? I don't know what to blame, but these were the worst books I read this year.

No comments: