Tuesday, July 21, 2009

When We Left Earth (00): Overview

Forty years ago, this month, we first walked on the Moon. A total of twelve humans walked on the surface of another sphere.

And then we stopped, we threw away what brought us there, and we haven't been back...except for some robots.

Knowing that there would be a fair bit of hoopla around the anniversary of Apollo 11 (and seeing that Apollo 1, 7 and 8..let alone 9 and 10 have been pretty much ignored by the press, I'm willing to bet we're going to ignore Apollo 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, the Skylab missions and the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project...Apollo 13 will probably get attention, but not as much as 11), I undertook a bit of a reading project this month. I looked through my collection of space-related and Apollo-related books and hauled down a bunch and read and re-read them. I didn't get through everything I hauled down, but I got through quite a bit.

I'll post individual reviews, rather than One Big Review. And there will be a separate posting of those books I did not get to...but which should be conisdered. The emphasis will be on Apollo, but I'll also talk about some other books which covered unmanned probes, which cover astronomy and the like.

Order of reviews will be vaguely alphabetical. Vaguely.

If I consider the book to be an essential book on the subject, I'll note it. In the title.

Please stand by!

No comments: